One of the finest ways to enjoy the bounty of the land is when it is prepared with a chef’s artistry and enhanced by a warm and friendly restaurant atmosphere. This fall we hope to offer you just that when you join us at the table for our inaugural Dine Out for Farms™ event!
Dine Out for Farms™ is a national, week-long event that will bring together restaurants and consumers to support a sustainable future for America’s farms. From October 10-16, participating restaurants will raise funds and awareness for our programs that support farms and help save the land that sustains us.
Here is how you can get involved.
1. Enroll a Restaurant. If you own or work for a restaurant we hope you will join us at the table for Dine Out for Farms™ week. By joining the Dine Out for Farms™ you will become a member of our “Friends of Farms” community. We are providing a host of resources to make participation easy and fun. Download this guide to learn more about participating!
2. Recruit. In 2006, 87% of restaurants purchased some of their menu items locally. By supporting the Dine Out for Farms™ restaurants, you’re helping support a vibrant local and regional agriculture sector. Tell us which restaurants in your area should participate in the Dine Out for Farms™ event and we’ll give them a call and invite them to join us! You can also download this enrollment packet [PDF] and take it to your favorite restaurants and ask them to participate. We will randomly select 5 people that make recommendations on our online form to receive a No farms No Food hat.
3. Buzz. By promoting the Dine Out for Farms™ event you are helping to grow the movement to save America’s farms and ranches. Share the Dine Out for Farms™ event on Facebook and Twitter.
4. Blog. Each year, the United States has been losing nearly one million acres of farmland. That’s more than an acre of land a minute, or an area the size of Massachusetts every five years. Once a productive farm is lost, it’s usually lost forever, and the ripple effect can be tremendous. Help spread the word about the Dine Out for Farms™ event and help educate your community about what is at stake!
5. Dine Out! Stay tuned to the Dine Out for Farms™ website and look for our special message as we unveil the participating restaurants for our first Dine Out for Farms™ week, October 10th-16th!